Potato The Boss
A powerhouse of nutrients, potatoes offer an excellent source of potassium and vitamin C, as well as being a source of iron and fibre. Plus they are low in fat and are cholesterol free.
Top 5 Health Benefits of Eating Potatoes. Potatoes are not only delicious but important, healthy additions to your daily diet.
1. Eating potatoes can reduce inflammation. How? Potatoes are wholesome, nightshade vegetables, loaded with carbohydrates, protein, calcium, niacin and Vitamin C. Because of the fiber in potatoes, they are soft and easily digested. The Vitamin C in potatoes make them great antioxidants which repair cells in the body. Potatoes can relieve inflammation in the intestines and digestive track. Raw potatoes can also be mashed and applied to relieve external burns, inflammation, and so forth.
2. Eating potatoes can increase brain function. The brain or nerve center of your body relies on several things to function, including balanced glucose levels, oxygen, Vitamin B complex, amino acids, Omega-3 and other fatty acids, among others. Potatoes contain these elements and so much more to keep your brain performing as it should.
3. Eating potatoes can help prevent cardiovascular disease. Potatoes are a great source of carbohydrates, protein, calcium, niacin and Vitamins C and B-complex. These properties help fightheart disease and keep blood pressure at normal levels. Potatoes also contain carotenoids, key to heart health and overall health and wellness.
4. Potatoes may offset incidence of kidney stones. There are an increasing number of studies that indicate that potatoes may have protective health benefits. For example, potatoes are rich sources of magnesium which can offset the accumulation of calcium in the kidney.
5. Potatoes advance skin care. Potatoes have all the right stuff to optimize health and wellness. Potatoes contain Vitamins C and B-complex, potassium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus, all excellent vitamins and minerals for your skin. Raw potatoes can be mashed and mixed with honey to make a masque for your skin. Raw potatoes can also be applied to burns and rashes to ease the swelling and pain.
The good news? Potatoes aren't just about carbs anymore. Indeed, there's growing evidence that potatoes may be among the most healthful vegetables around. Of course, it's best to bake a potato to get its full health benefits. You'll also need to limit the number of potatoes eaten with each meal, particularly if you are overweight or diabetic. Finally, it's important to check with your doctor, nutritionist and other health care professionals about ways to appropriately integrate potatoes into your daily diet and routine.
Source Yahoo Voice